The History of Flint Cemetery Photos ↓
The Founding Of Flint Cemetery
The land for Flint Cemetery was purchsed in 1864 from a farmer named Ozem Gardner, who had acquired it in 1821. Ozem Gardner was an abolitionist who worked with others in the area to hide and, sometimes, transport runaway slaves north toward Lake Erie and the freedom found in Canada. Escaping slaves were given refuge behind Gardner's house in a small one-room structure built into the bank of a creek. The remains of this structure are still visible today in the east bank of the creek that runs adjacent to Flint Cemetery. Escaped slaves in Ozem Gardner's care were not only given shelter and food, many are reported to have been transported to a safehouse in Westerville hidden in produce from his farm. He is believed to have helped more than 200 escaping slaves in their journey to Canada. Ozem Gardner died in 1880 and is burried in Flint Cemetery.
The Flint Cemetery Association
Ozem Gardner sold the land to Rufus Carpenter, John Potter, Jesse Thompson, L.H. Gardner, R.C. Phinny, Trustees of Flint Cemetery Association on May 26, 1874. The Flint Cemetery Association operated the cemetery until March 13, 1947 when the Flint Cemetery Members met at the home Elmer Boyd, (Vice-Chairman) and voted to turn the cemetery records and funds over to the Sharon Township Trustees. Flint Cemetery was taken over by Sharon Township Trustees May 6, 1947. Mr. Ralph Keys presented deed plot and records and turned them over to the Sharon Township Clerk. The records turned over to the Township showed most burials from 1909 to 1947 were recorded and all burials from 1947 to date are recorded. Sharon Township has purchase two additional tracts of land one in 1956 and the other in 1960. The current cemetery is just over 11 acres in size.
Flint Becomes a Union Cemetery
In 1969, Flint Cemetery became partnerd with Walnut Grove Union. A Union Cemeteries is owned and opperated by Multipul municipalities, in this case, the City of Worthington and Sharon Township. The Walnut Grove and Flint Union Cemeteries Board of Trustees consists of one representative from Worthington City Council, one representative from the Sharon Township Trustee Board, and one member-at-large, who must reside in either Worthington or Sharon Township.